Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Rent at the Yucca Theatre

I remember seeing the Broadway produciton of RENT in New York. I didn't have the best seats - toward the back of the top balcony, if memory serves me correctly. However, I remember how much the performance impacted me. It is not a show about the scenery or the spectacle, but rather about the characters and how much their lives change in the year we see them interact. The music was very powerful to me, and blended modern rock 'n roll music with the sensibilities and needs of muiscal theatre.

Director Carl Beery Moore and the wonderful cast of MCT's production of RENT have been rehearsing for several weeks to get ready for our presentation of this Broadway musical at the Yucca Theatre. RENT is not a musical for everyone - it deals with AIDS, homosexuality, drug use and other tough issues. Therefore, we are presenting this musical at the Yucca Theatre - it is not part of our 2009 membership season. However, I strongly encourage you - and your friends - to attend this production. Public performances will take place on April 24 and 25 and May 1 and 2.

Tickets for RENT will go on sale to the public next week - the Cue Card will be mailing to everyone (10,000 people) on our mailing list. Watch for more information on our Yucca special.

No comments: