Thursday, June 25, 2009

Report from Tacoma

I am currently in Tacoma, Washington attending the AAACFest 09 - the national festival of plays for community theatre. Prior to the festival, I facilitated a conference for managers of community theatres that wrapped up on Wednesday morning. We worked Monday afternoon and evening, all day Tuesday and Wednesday morning - the plays started Wednesday afternoon.

The participants were mostly from smaller community theatres - they were board members, founders, first staff members of their theatre. They came with a list of problems and a desire to learn more from each other. There were 28 participants in the class. I think that the workshop went very well as each person had the opportunity to speak and share their thoughts and frustrations and provide insights and ideas to each other. Several people told me - "I thought I had problems at my theatre and now I know that these problems are everywhere". Overall, I hope that everyone gained something from our discussions - I know that I have a list of ideas to take back to MCT and share with the staff.

There are shows Thursday afternoon, Friday afternoon and evening and Saturday afternoon here at the festival - two shows in each time slot - and then a wrap up dinner and award show on Saturday night. I will update the blog again when the festival is over.

No comments: