Sunday, January 30, 2011

AITA/IATA 2011 - Norway

It's now official - Midland Community Theatre has been invited by the organizers of the 2011 AITA/IATA International Theatre festival in Tromso, Norway to present our production of MY WAY this summer at the event. Needless to say, we are very excited about this invitation, and are looking forward to working on this important project. Here is a website for the festival - at last glance, it had not been updated to include the recent productions added to the festival.

We are currently in the process of putting together the production - three of the original four members of the show still live in the Permian Basin and have agreed to participate. I've had to add a new member to the production to replace Amy (who moved away) and the group is getting started in a week after I open OKLAHOMA. In addition, I can not devote my full attention to the production until I get done with HAIRSPRAY this spring - we may have some Saturday rehearsals and a slow beginning to the process before moving forward.

In addition, we'll need to work on raising the money to make this trip. When I asked the board's permission to accept this invitation (if offered), I agreed that we would not use funds from the 2011 operating budget for the trip. Therefore, we're going to need to raise a considerable sum to make this trip. I am planning to keep the traveling party small - six people - but Norway is an expensive country and summer is the busy travel season. I'll keep you posted as we develop more of our plans.

No comments: