Monday, March 23, 2009

Busy Weekend

This past weekend, MCT's production of Half a Lifetime participated in the Texas state festival for the AACTFest 09 competition. Director Cody Tumlin, Stage Manager Ashley Melenez and cast members Justin Tate, Beau Dameron and Phil Tytanic perfomed on Friday evening. Unfortunately, MCT's production was not selected to advance to the Regional competition. However, the cast did win the "best ensemble" award and Phil Tytanic was selected to the All-Star cast. Congratulation to the cast and crew of this production for their hard work on this show.

On Saturday night, we performed Les Miserables for the last time. As some of you know, I started this blog as a "backstage look" into our work on this production, and it has expanded to include information on everything related to MCT. Saturday was a very sad night for the cast - everyone enjoyed performing this show and working together on this production. For me, this musical will always hold a special place in the productions that I have directed at MCT. Someone asked me recently how many productions I have directed at MCT - Les Miserables was my 48th show, and A Christmas Carol (2009) will be my 50th show at MCT. On a personal note, assuming I don't have additional directing assignments added to the slate - the 2012 opening musical will be the 100th production I have directed overall.

Congratulations to the Pickwick Players. Every year, 40 of these teenagers give up their Spring Break and run the Fine Arts Camp for 90 youth. Certainly, I have expereinced this event each year from afar, but the past two years have been very different for me as my son Zach has been able to particiapte. Zach had a great time this year, and I am amazed at the dedication and talent of our Pickwicks. Please support these teenagers and attend their upcoming production of Pinocchio which will run April 3-11, 2009.

No comments: