Saturday, March 7, 2009

Les Miserables - Fourth Weekend

This was our fourth weekend of Les Miserables - our 2009 opening musical. Due to the complexity of the show - and the potential strain of three hours of singing on our volunteer actor voices - we have limited ourselves to three show weekends (in other words, a maximum of three shows in any weekend). This past weekend, we had Thursday, Friday and Saturday night performances. The Thursday night show was our only public Thursday night show, and will probably be the only performance that did not sell-out. However, it was a very good audience - more than 75% full - for a non-weekend in Midland. Friday and Saturday night were sold-out with a solid walk up audience - we managed to squeeze in over 40 extra people on Saturday night. If you want to see the show but hear that it's "sold out" - come on down and we'll find you a seat!

The performances are very consistent - we've not had a "bad" show. Certainly, we've had some shows that those of us who have seen it for 20+ times notice problems or issues. However, our cast and crew have been very professional, and I strongly feel that our audience has been treated to a great show every night.

Here are some comments from e-mails that I have received on the show:

"It is my favorite Broadway musical and I would think it would be fairly difficult to tackle for a community theater. Everyone's performance was very moving and the excellence of the sets, the lighting, the voices and the orchestra made it hard to believe it wasn't being performed in New York! I was very moved by everyone's performance and the musical talent was fabulous!! Kudos to everyone and thank you for a wonderful evening."

"
The show was great! The music, sets, costumes... everything was fabulous. I do believe it is one of the best community theatre productions I've ever seen. Congratulations to you, the cast, and MCT."

"
I have to say that I do believe it is one of if not the finest MCT production I have ever seen and I have been involved in a number of the musicals over the years. The voices and acting were by far the best I have ever heard/seen at MCT...my friend and I were moved to tears many times during the show and we have both seen it multiple times by Broadway touring troupes. So BRAVO ... a truly splendid show!"

Remember, we added two performances on Friday, March 20th at 8 p.m. and Saturday, March 21st at 8 p.m. - we will close on March 21st. Call the Box Office (432) 570-4111 or visit the website for tickets.

No comments: